Nowadays, with so many prying eyes, the password for laptop login has been an essential need. A good password is hard to guess, and it is better if it consists of words and numbers. However, the more complicated your password, the harder it is to be remembered. Forgetting a password and having to face a locked laptop is so frustrating. So here is the tutorial on how to unlock the Acer laptop.
For Windows XP
How to Unlock Acer Laptop with Bootable Windows CD
- Insert bootable Windows CDs that are given when you purchased your Acer laptop.
- The screen will show “Press any keys to boot from CD.” Follow the instruction by pressing any keys on a keyboard.
- Then on the screen will appear two options. Install fresh Windows or repair Windows
- Press the “R” key to repair Windows. When the process is completed, your laptop will automatically reboot. Then on the screen appears the statement “installing devices.”
- Press “Shift” and “F10” keys at the same time and type “murmur.cpl”
- Create a new password to replace the old password and unlock your Acer laptop
- Exit the command prompt window.
- Reboot / Restart your laptop
- Use the new password for login.
For Windows 7
How to Unlock Acer Laptop with Windows Password Key
Windows password key is a program from Windows to reset any password inside your laptop. You can use CD/DVD or USB flash drive as your bootable Windows. All you have to do are:
- Browse another PC for Windows Password Key, then install it to that PC.
- Insert a blank CD/DVD or USB flash drive with a minimum capacity of 2 GB. Open Windows password keys and burn ISO image to CD or flash drive.
- Insert the disks to your locked Acer laptop and turn it on. Press the “F2” or “Delete” keys to enter BIOS setup, and your laptop can boot from the disks.
- Press the “F10” key to save the change.
- Reboot your Acer laptop. Then you will see the windows password key start to work.
- Follow any instructions so the program can reset your password.
For Windows 8
How to Unlock Acer Laptop with Windows 8 Recovery Disk
These steps are only for you who have already made the recovery disk.
- Insert recovery disk to your Acer laptop and turn on your laptop.
- The screen will show the “Troubleshoot” menu. Choose “Advance Options.”
- Click the “Command prompt” option.
- Type the “diskpart” command, then Enter.
- Type the “list vol” command, then Enter. It will list all your hard drive partitions. Choose the section where your Windows 8 is installed. Usually, in C:
- Type the “exit” command. Then type these commands one by one.
- cd windows
- cd system 32
- ren Utilman.exe to Utilman.exe bak
- copy cmd.exe Utilman.exe
( Replace C with wherever your Windows 8 is installed.)
- Remove the recovery disk and reboot your laptop.
- When your laptop has already started to the login screen, click the “ease of access” button at the bottom left corner.
- Type the “net user” command, then Enter. It will list all users on your Acer laptop. Choose the user that you want to enter and change its password.
- Type “net user username new password” to reset the old password. For example, you want to reset the Acer user’s password with 123456, and then you type the “net user Acer 123456” command.
- Type the ” exit ” command and return to the login screen. Type a new password for login.
- Once you can log in to Windows 8, change “utilman.exe bak” back to “utilman.exe.”
These are several steps of how to unlock the Acer laptop. Hope this article can help you unlock your Acer laptop. Good luck!